Sunday, August 3, 2008

Those Crazy Chickens

I don’t know what to think anymore about those chickens.

I have always known that my animals are weird. From cows that let me ride them, to dogs that understand what I am telling them without having to utter a word, to sheep that run into the house and leap on a specific chair and ask to be fed…you name it, they are weird. And the chickens fit right into that category. Our Gold Stars run right up to you and ask to be picked up or petted. They enjoy being carried around, and ride ‘shotgun’ on the four-wheeler. They peck at your shoes, and fly up on your shoulders for a ride.


Photobucket

We have a total of five hens. Three Gold-Stars, and two Leghorns. The Leghorns are getting to be over a year old now, and their production days are over. I have not seen a white egg in over a month. This past Friday night I went into the hen house to collect the eggs. I found only the brown variety. I looked at the two Leghorns sitting on the roost, and asked, “Has either one of you ever heard of dumplings?” One of them issued a very loud “ba-GOCK!!!!” And flew down off the roost and tore out the door. I just laughed.

Well now the Gold Stars have started acting weird, in the egg-laying department. I don’t know if this all has to do with the hot, muggy weather, or they all think this is just one big, happy joke…

On Saturday night I went in to gather eggs and shut the chickens in for the night, and when I reached into the nest box I found a surprise waiting for me…

Photobucket
A regular sized egg, and an “Eggus humongous

And right beside the Eggus humongus was this:

Photobucket

Is it their idea of a JOKE???



Photobucket

Even Don is astonished.


My friend Connie has Americana’s. They are the rainbow-colored egg layers. She gave me some of her fertilized eggs (totaling eighteen) to put in our new incubator, and I added eleven Guinea eggs as well. Yes, I know. I AM a glutton for punishment. I am hoping that they are mostly all females. Enough of that “Kung-Fu” crapola…

Photobucket

Well, I hope that you all have enjoyed the weekend and are refreshed and ready for the week ahead. Here on the farm, it will be more mowing, hauling round hay bales for the winter, and adding a string of barbed wire to the top of the goat fences. Somebody - won't mention any names - keeps getting out!


Photobucket

Y’all have a good one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jody - you need to write a book - seriously!! You are a very gifted writer and with all the material you have to work with out there, the possibilities are endless. i love reading about life on the farm. darrell and bill sure had a great time when they came down. they raved about lunch! keep on writing - i'll keep reading. - jo

Connie Peterson said...

Well, the tiny egg is because one of your girls is slowing down and quitting (molting or objecting to the heat). But this should only be for a little while.

As far as the humungous egg, I don't know ... mine had several yesterday, too!

And I had ten (count them, ten) eggs yesterday, whereas I had only four the day before!

It's mostly this heat!

The leghorns might lay, a bit, after it cools down!

Put a picture of your new boy up soon! I'll bring a camera card!