Tuesday, August 12, 2008

It Will Never Be Quite The Same

As many of you know, the Minnesota Renaissance Festival is an event that I attend each and every year. I have been attending since the mid-seventies, and in that time, I have only missed 2 years. Ren Fest is in my blood - it is a part of me. I have worked there, and loved every minute. It is my own personal "Brigadoon." It appears for only a short time every year (August thru Sept, 7 weekends, including Labor Day), and then disappears again... vanishes, into the mist. And the very first show that I attend, each and every year, is the comedy duo of 'Puke and Snot.' Today – August 12, 2008 – I received some very sad news. Yesterday, Monday August 11, 2008, 'Snot' (aka: Joe Kudla, of northeast Minneapolis) apparently died of a heart attack while at home. He was 57 years old. Ren Fest begins the 2008 season this coming Saturday.

I have been watching Puke and Snot since the mid-seventies. I can remember watching their show when Hubert Humphrey was touring the Ren Fest grounds. My brother shook Senator Humphrey’s hand! Every year, for over 30 years, I sat in the stands watching as some lucky lady received “the rose” during their show. But three years ago, I was the one that got that rose! I have carefully dried it, and that rose will go into my casket with me when I die. I made my family swear to it!! It was a most memorable day, one that I will never forget as long as I live. (I might add here that my daughter went to see the show all by herself one year, and she got that rose on her very first try!!! Brat! ;)

I will take my mother to the Renaissance Festival again this year, along with my daughter and my very good friend, Kenny Schmitt. He may be what some folks call 'handicapped,' but he is a lot smarter than many people I know that supposedly are 'normal.' And the four of us will go to all the familiar booths for all the familiar food (spinach pie, oh! to die for!!) and all the familiar items. But it will never be quite the same, without the familiar face of one of the funniest men we've ever known.

Thanks for all the good memories, dear friend...May you rest in peace.

Photobucket

Mom, me, and Melissa, 2007 MN Renaissance Festival


Photobucket

Joe Kudla as his character 'Snot' onstage, 2007 (White shirt)


Photobucket

Mom, Melissa, Kenny, Dan (Don's son), and Don


Photobucket

Kenny and the Scottish tortoise


Photobucket

Mom and Kenny beneath an archway of branches. I want to make one of these!
















1 comment:

Connie Peterson said...

How sad! I enjoyed the show the few times I went to the Festival.

That archway must be new - I don't remember it!

Enjoy your trip there.