Sunday, April 5, 2009

Palm Sunday

Sunday April 5, 2009. Last night we had sideways-snow. It hopefully will be the last major snowfall of the 2008-2009 winter season. As I took pictures of our near-blizzard conditions, a Robin chirped miserably in the Ash tree branches above my head. I wondered if he wanted to go back to his ‘winter’ headquarters, in some warm, balmy part of the world.

Photobucket

Silent Sentinels

Photobucket


Today is Palm Sunday, and I took a few pictures of our old Blue Spruce trees next to the road. They’ve withstood many storms, even a few tornadoes. And still they stand: tall, silent witnesses of time passing. And while they watched, I made my way to the barn to check on ‘the ladies.”

Miri and Rosie are due to have their very first babies soon. Miri, in fact, was due yesterday. She shows signs of being very close. She eats like there is no tomorrow. I believe that she will be having twins. She is very wide, and I can feel at least two kids in there. But this is her first pregnancy, and so I am fairly certainly that there is not three!

Photobucket


Miri from the top side.
Photobucket
On the other hand, Rosie has always been thin, and I have to fight to keep weight on her. I was concerned that she may not even be pregnant at all, but after palpating her sides, I am positive that she is carrying one kid.

Photobucket

What is this? Another fat, pregnant goat???

Photobucket

Ah, no! It's only NIMROD! The DADDY!

Photobucket

All the kids are active. I am excited to see what they look like. I bred my Saanen does to a Boer-cross buck. My dad named him “Nimrod.” It seems to fit his personality.

The miracle of birth is has always fascinated me. I am so excited to see these new babies and have them frolicking at their mothers side. But that’s not the ONLY miracle forthcoming…

Photobucket


My “Leetle Brother” will be getting married this week! He and his lovely wife, Diane, will be flying to California for their honeymoon. They will visit with dad and his wife Betty, and do some driving and sightseeing on their own. I am sure that Tim will want to show Diane his old ‘haunts,’ as Tim lived in California for well over 20 years. He still misses the mountains, and Yosemite. And although I never lived there, I do miss the ocean. I once spent an entire week there. We were on the beach at Montana de Oro. Jade washes up on the shore there, and ‘Sea Glass.’ I still have some in a bottle of sand. That was a very special time for me. And I am sure that Tim and Diane will bring back many good memories, as well.

1 comment:

Connie Peterson said...

Good luck to your brother on his new life!

I heard, this weekend, that Boer goats are the most gentle and the friendliest of all the goats, so Nimrod comes by his nature naturally!

Let me see pictures of the babies - and if the weather is good, I'll come see them myself, as soon as they come!

Good luck with the birthings!