Monday, November 24, 2008

Lotza Llamas!

Hey you guys! Since you are out cruising around on the internet anyway, why not take a look at another link on my page? It belongs to two wonderful people from Heron Lake, just south of us here on Good Shepherd Farm. Bill and Shirley Fisher raise Miniature Llamas, NOT ALPACAS or REGULAR SIZED LLAMAS! Yes! These sweet little creatures are as gentle as little doggies, and they did not even SPIT at me when I played with them! Take a look in my archive section at "Miniature Llama Play Day." These are the folks that I mentioned in that blog. I did a little research about Miniature Llamas, and this is what I found out:

The miniature llama has been developed from various llama bloodlines from Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Peru, Canada and North America. In llamas’ native climate of South America it is believed that small llamas may have been products of surviving harsh natural climates. However, today with the knowledge of genetics it has made the possibility of breeding specifically for size a reality. Some of the most well known herdsires in the llama industry from years past continue on in miniature llama’s genes today.

Miniature llamas were bred from many different small llamas with various types of fiber. Today in the miniature llama industry you will still find minis of all fiber types including suri, light, medium, heavy and silky fiber. Miniature llamas can be found in a rainbow of colors.For the last couple of decades breeders have been selecting for llamas that resemble a standard-size llama in every way, but remain small in size. In 1999, several breeders across the United States decided to come together and form the American Miniature Llama Association (AMLA).

Currently, I am washing and combing some Llama fiber from Bill and Shirley. I hope to be able to spin it and do it some justice! The llama that I am working on is from their "Toby" and it is gray, white, and chestnut. The fiber is so soft, and so beautiful. When I am done with all the Christmas rush, I will try and get it done. AND, I will have pictures of the work in progress on my blog.

I hope that you enjoyed learning about Miature Llamas! They are so cute! And so friendly! Drop in on Bill and Shirley on thier blog! They EVEN HAVE SOME FOR SALE!!!!!

1 comment:

Connie Peterson said...

Lots of good information there. You are so good at looking things up for us to know.

All I know about the minis are that they are adorable. And I would love to have a couple in my yard!